"Washington County, Indiana, has always been noted for its many churches and the high standards of its schools. Its citizens just dedicated an addition to the hospital making it a fine facility with state-of-the-art equipment and offering a wide variety of medical services. With its fertile cropland and the scenic beauty of its rolling hills, Washington County‘s location in the heartland of America is ideal." - WASHINGTONCOUNTY.IN.GOV
- 4433 South Beck's Mill Road - Salem, Indiana
- Phone: 812-883-5147
- Website: WWW.BECKSMILL.ORG
DATES AND INFORMATION FOR 2017
- Beck's Mill will open on Friday, April 7th
- May Days: May 13 & 14. Home school art show, demonstrations music & kids crafts. The 14th (mom’s day) free sample bags of cornmeal to all visiting mom’s . Craft vendors.
- Father’s Day: June 18. Free sample bag of cornmeal to all visiting Dads.
- Car show: date to be announced.
- 209th Birthday Party: Aug. 26. Corydon Dulcimers 11:30 to 1 pm. Special admission price of $2.09. Demonstrations. Craft vendors.
- Grind Run/Walk: Oct 14th.
- Oktoberfest: Oct. 28. Countywide art show. Demonstrations, craft vendors & campfire beans & Beck’s Mill cornmeal bake off contest.
"After setting idle for more than 50 years the little grist mill south of Salem, Indiana is now churning out a product that once made it famous.
The Old Mill sat idle and was a sad reminder to the lifestyle of our pioneering ancestors. The mill's mechanical and structural elements were deteriorating. Rodents chewed away at the huge timbers of the main frame structure while floor boards rotted away from moisture damage. The mill structure was unsafe to enter and unfortunately with such a unique historic structure sitting empty vandals pilfered some interior furnishings and equipment.
Then came hope for the future.
In 2005 a group participating in the Awareness Washington County (AWC), a Washington County leadership development program, decided to explore the possibility of restoring the Mill. As a tribute to the determination of the members and their understanding of the importance of saving such a unique landmark their efforts yielded positive results where others had failed during the 50 years prior.
The AWC group coordinated efforts with the current property owners of the mill (several members of the Beck family) to take ownership of the landmark and chart a new course for the restoration and continued preservation of the mill. The leadership of this group established a new direction as a non-profit organization. This non-profit organization was established as the Friends of Beck's Mill Inc. and their mission would be to present to the public a working grist mill as an accurate recreation of pioneer life in Washington County, Indiana.
For the first time in more than 50 years the future of the mill begin to turn around.
While the determination of the volunteers of the newly formed Friends of Beck's Mill Inc. was evident their ability to locate funding to complete such a large restoration project was uncertain. Bill and Gayle Cook, along with son Carl realized the historic significance of Beck’s Mill to Washington County after learning about the efforts to save Beck's Mill. Bill and Gayle Cook founded Cook Group in 1963 in Bloomington, Indiana and their philanthropic efforts have touched the lives of Hoosier's all across Indiana. In 2006, the Cook family graciously offered to assist the group in their effort to reclaim the Mill. With the efforts of Pritchett Brothers performing the restoration services in partnership with Ridgway Architecture the future of Beck's Mill had finally changed for the better.
A bright new future for an Old Mill.
In 2008 Beck's Mill was returned in restored and operational condition to the directors of the Friends of Beck’s Mill, Inc. Beck’s Mill is operated solely by the efforts of an all volunteer staff and the leadership of Friends of Beck’s Mill, Inc. continues to enhance the visitor experience to Beck's Mill every year as numerous new events are planned every season.
From all of us at Friends of Beck's Mill Inc. we look forward to seeing you at Historic Beck's Mill!"
- ADDRESS: 212 NORTH MAIN STREET, SALEM, INDIANA
- PHONE NUMBER: 812-883-5600
Salem's beautiful Carnegie Library is located at 212 North Main Street in Salem and has been serving Washington County and visitors since 1905.
A Sight To Behold
The beautiful Washington County Courthouse is as majestic a sight to behold today as it was when built in 1888.The Washington County Courthouse in Salem, Indiana is a Richardsonian Romanesque building that was built in 1888. It was designed by Harry P. McDonald of Louisville and his brother in 1888, and is the third courthouse at that location. Limestone from the area was used in the construction. It is located within the Salem Downtown Historic District.
ADDRESS: 207 South Shelby Street, Salem, Indiana
Crown Hill Cemetery, located at 207 South Shelby Street in Salem, is not only a popular area for walking, but contains a plethora of historic gravesites of historical figures who shaped the county, state and country. Among those are John Hay Farnham, a respected lawyer, statesman and proponent of free public education for all who lived in the early 1800's and the stately mausoleum of Lee Wiley Sinclair, the enterprising businessman who built The West Baden Springs Hotel, once considered the "Eighth Wonder of The World".
Travel An Historic Path
Travel the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail through Washington County and Southern Indiana. John Hunt Morgan was a Confederate general and cavalry officer in the American Civil War. He led 2,460 troops in a daring raid, called Morgan's Raid, racing past Union lines into Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio in July 1863. This was the farthest north any uniformed Confederate troops penetrated during the war. Morgan and his raiders reached Salem on July 10, 1863, coming north from Corydon. Upon entering Salem at approximately 9 a.m., Morgan immediately took possession of the town and placed guards over the stores and streets.
The cavalrymen burned the large, brick railroad depot, along with all the train cars on the track and the railroad bridges on each side of the town. Morgan demanded taxes from the two flour mills that belonged to DePauw and Knight, and from the Allen Wollen Mill. Morgan's men looted stores and took about $500 from the area before departing about 3 p.m. They turned east and tore up more railroad track and downed telegraph wires in Canton before leaving Washington County.
- Phone: 812-883-6495
- 307 East Market Street - Salem, Indiana
- Website: WWW.JOHNHAYCENTER.ORG
The Village made up of log buildings that were constructed from logs salvaged from old houses and stores in Washington County include a cabin, cabin, jail, blacksmith shop, school, church, carpenter shop and loom house, general store and the John Hay home. The Hay home was acquired by the Washington County Historical Society in 1967. The house has been restored and furnished in the 1840 period. This village is used throughout the year at special times during special occasions. During school tours, open house periods along with the annual Old Settler's Day weekend. During these special time periods, people can be found in the village appearing with early 1800's clothing talking with visitors and re-enacting activities. The village is located directly behind the Steven's Museum.
Honoring Those Who Served
On the southeast corner of the Washington County Court house is our Veterans Memorial.
The memorial rests on a total of 76 pavers. The American way of life is wholly dependent, and is founded, upon that Spirit of ’76 which was eloquently expressed by the great statesman of the era, and to which those men pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. The pavers are arranged in a grid pattern which is thirteen pavers long. This gives recognition for the thirteen original colonies that declared themselves free and independent from tyranny of Great Britain. The grid is also six pavers wide, which makes this memorial uniquely suited to Indiana, the sixth state added after the formation of the Union.
There is a missing paver at the southeast corner of the grid. This serves to remind us of the unknown soldiers from all our wars, whose deaths were so complete that even their identity was lost and gone forever. There is also a missing paver at the northeast corner, and its absence reminds us of former and present MIA’s and our POW’s during their captivity. Emerging from pavers are twenty-one uprights. These are symbolic of a twenty-one gun salute given for those who have fallen in wartime. The uprights are placed chronologically east and west, symbolic of the settlement pattern of both our country and county.